GCP Founder Carol Sutton Lewis has been appointed to President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper Alliance (“MBK Alliance”) Advisory Council.
Launched by President Obama in May 2015, The MBK Alliance is engaging partners in the private and public sectors to create and advance efforts to eliminate the gaps in opportunity and achievement for boys and young men of color in America. Specifically, it will focus on six milestones:
1. Entering School Ready to Learn (Early Childhood)
2. Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade (Middle Childhood)
3. Graduating from High School Ready for College and Career (Adolescence)
4. Completing Post-Secondary Education or Training (Adulthood Transition)
5. Successfully Entering the Workforce (Adulthood)
6. Reducing Violence and Providing a Second Chance (Throughout Life)
The 33 member council also includes former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, U.S. Senator Cory Booker, Harlem Children’s Zone head Anne Williams-Isom, and retired NBA player Shaquille O’Neal.
More about the MBK Alliance can be found here.